Mold Removal

Mold is a serious issue; it can damage property but is also detrimental to your health. These health concerns are especially common in infants and the elderly. Symptoms of mold and toxic mold are caused due to prolonged exposure to an abundance of mold spores in an enclosed environment. These symptoms include fatigue, headaches, dizziness, respiratory malfunction, and general flu-like symptoms.

Mold can be detected by professionals who can record the extent of contamination and the moisture saturation levels to determine whether health hazards exist. Lab test can also be run whenever called for.

It is vital to keep the Mold contaminant at the source, this is achieved by isolating mold contamination and preventing spores from becoming airborne. Once the contaminated source is isolated the threat is reduced as it cannot spread to clean areas.

Mold vs. Your Health

Mold Spores

Mold is not just an ugly sight that can ruin clothing or furniture; it is a health hazard that can seriously contaminate the air you breathe. Mold produces microscopic cells called “spores” that can be spread through air, water, or even on the bodies of insects.

Mold Related Symptoms

Causes allergic reactions

Triggers asthma attacks

Increases susceptibility to colds and flu

Causes sinus infections

Health Risks

Some people are more sensitive to mold than others. There does not have to be an extensive amount of mold in an area to affect certain people.

Infants

Children

Immune-compromised patients

Pregnant women

People who have respiratory problems

People with allergies or asthma

The elderly

Toxic  Mold Exposure

Toxic  Mold, such as Stachybotrys and Memnoniella, can cause serious and sometimes fatal health conditions. Remember that all molds can be harmful to your health, especially in your home and especially to people with allergies.

You may develop a skin rash.

Flu like symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, fever, headaches, abdominal pain and diarrhea may occur.

Can induce serious respiratory problems.

Causes eye irritation.

May cause wheezing or shortness or breath.

People with chronic illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs.

Toxic Mold Symptoms

Symptoms of black mold or toxic mold exposure may not seem life threatening at the onset. Over time more serious illnesses may develop.

Nasal Congestion

Irritation of the eyes

Inflammation of the sinuses

Irritation of the skin

Breathlessness

Headache

Runny nose

Fatigue

Cough

Sore throat

Hoarseness

More serious symptoms

Inflammation of the ear

Bleeding Lungs

Nose Bleeds

Memory Loss

Arthralgia (Pain in the joints without swelling )

Mold Removal Process

Water Removal:

In order to remove mold from an area the first step is to fix the moisture issue which is causing the mold to grow. It’s important to find the source of water accumulation in order to stop the fungal growth. the humidty in the room must also be determined, if it’s 55% or higher a dehumidfier should be considered.

In instances where there is severe flooding or a water leak, the standing water must be pumped out followed by drying the area. All wet materials must be moved from walls and floors

The faster these issues are addressed the less extensive the damage will be, toxic mold can germinate and grow within 24-48 hours.

Dust Removal:

A primary mode of transportation for mold is dust, the mold spores can be dispersed through the air, so it is important to remove dust and contain an area once the water is removed.

Each room should be cleaned separately, before cleaning the room should be sealed off as to prevent contamination. A room can be sealed by using plastic sheeting sealed with duct tape. Doorways, vents, and any other opening needs to be sealed.

an exhaust fan is then placed near an open or partially open door or window that is open to the outside. This will create a negative air pressure which will then direct air flow outside. This ensures that any mold spores that have been stirred up during the cleaning will be sent outside. It’s important to turn the HVAC system off before cleaning mold.

Cleaning Mold:

If a dry surface needs to be cleaned then it is lightly misted with water. If the mold is too dry then it will become airborne quicker than if it is watered down. The area is then disinfected and removed of as much mold as possible. All surrounding areas will be thoroughly cleaned. Even if there is no visible mold there could still be lingering spores. Once the surface has been cleaned and disinfected it wil be completely dried.

Mold Disposal:

The mold and mold-infested materials will be disposed of in heavy-duty plastic bags. They cannot be transported through the house, as they could contaminate the rest of the area. The bags will be disposed of out a window or other accessible avenue to the direct outside.

Carefully remove and discard mold and mold-infested materials into heavy-duty plastic bags. Do not transport the bags throughout the house, especially other clean areas. Doing so will risk further spreading and regerminating of the mold. They can then be taken to any landfill.

 

Call Us Today For A Free Quote!